This ‘sponge’ is so easy the kids can make it (and they do). We usually just dish this out straight from the bowl: with boys in the house, it doesn’t last long enough to do anything other than wash up a few minutes later.
- 4 oz butter
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 4 tablespoons of jam or golden syrup
- Grease a microwave-safe bowl and put the jam or syrup in it.
- Melt butter then add sugar and beat until smooth
- Mix in the egg and milk gradually, so as not to curdle the mixture.
- Sift in the flour, and fold in gently.
- Pour the mixture into the microwave-safe bowl.
- Cover and cook for 3-6 minutes on medium power, or until the pudding appears set when gently shaken and the top is sticky.
Serve hot with custard or ice cream. We usually just dish this out straight from the bowl, but you can also turn it out onto a plate. You’ll end up with the syrup on the ‘top’ of the sponge, looking like a soaked-in type of icing.