- 1 very big zucchini
- chopped mushrooms
- 1 onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2 tablespoons of sunflower seeds (you can also use sesame seeds)
- seasoning: basil, rosemary, thyme
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup each of cottage cheese and grated cheddar cheese (2 cups in total)
- 1/4 cup wheatgerm
- 1-2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Tabasco sauce
- 1/2 to 1 cup brown rice
- Slice the zucchini lengthwise, scoop out the insides to leave about 1 cm intact and place them in a baking dish
- Saute the chopped zucchini insides with the garlic, onion, mushrooms and seasoning
- In a clean bowl, beat the eggs and add the cheeses, wheatgerm, soy sauce, Tabasco sauce, and rice.
- Add the sauteed zucchini mix to the egg mixture and stir well
- Use a spoon to fill the zucchini shells with the mix.
- Top the zuccanoes with sunflower seeds, paprika and a bit more tasty cheese.
- Cook in a 180 degree oven for about 30-40 minutes
- The rice and mushrooms are optional – sometimes we include them and sometimes not.
- If you have a really, really big old zucchini, the skin might be a bit tough. Put a cup or two of water in the bottom of the baking dish and cook on a lower heat for longer. You will still need to turn the heat up at the end to form a nice, crunchy crust.
Source: Adapted from the ever-so-famous Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen (1977), California: Ten Speed Press.