So the family provider came back from the markets with a big bunch of beetroot, greens included. The beets went to better things, including a baked dinner, beetroot salad and dip. The tops were still younger and tender, so they became our curry of beetroot greens to accompany the daal baat.
Curry of beetroot greens
- beetroot greens and stems (the greens I used for this recipe filled about a cup)
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- small piece of ginger, finely chopped
- chilli (as much as you can stand)
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground turmeric
- pinch of cumin seeds
- salt (we don’t always bother)
- Chop the beetroot greens and stems.
- Saute the cumin seeds, turmeric, coriander and ginger.
- Add the spring onions and chopped beetroot. Stir over a high heat for a few minutes, then add the chilli and enough water to stop the whole thing from sticking to the bottom of your pan.
- Add a pinch or so of salt if you want it.
- Turn the heat down, and let the mix simmer until the greens have a nice, soft-but-not-mushy texture.