Persimmons poached with just a hint of spice and orange make a perfect light breakfast or a refreshing dessert. There is no sugar in this, making it suitable for even the healthiest of diets.
Spicy poached persimmon with yoghurt
- 1 ripe persimmon
- juice from 1 orange
- 1/2 cinnamon stick
- 2 cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon of grated ginger
- 1-2 tablespoons of good Greek yoghurt
- some finely chopped almonds
- Cut the persimmon into wedges.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes in a small saucepan with the juice and spices.
- Remove the persimmon wedges with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Let the spiced juice simmer for a few minutes to reduce a bit and absorb the flavours.
- Spoon the yoghurt into a small bowl, arrange the persimmon wedges on top.
- Pour over the juice and scatter the nuts over the top for a final flourish.
Although I use almonds for this, you can use any nuts you like. Pistachios or macadamia nuts add a touch of class for a dessert, and walnuts work too.
Don’t be heavy handed with the spices: persimmons are a treat, and they should be allowed to dominate the palate.