We don’t have a juicer, but when the Seasoned Traveler published her recipe for her Orange wellness elixir, I just had to give it a try. A quick google, a grater, a blender and some suitable cloth, and it all became possible: an orange smoothie to match my green smoothie from some months ago.
So here’s my take on what is an excellent idea.
An orange smoothie
- 1 orange
- 2 large, fresh carrots
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric (optional)
- Pulp the carrot and ginger. You can do this by:
- tossing them into a blender if you have one that’s powerful enough
- grating them first, then tossing them into a blender.
- Scoop the pulp into a cloth then squeeze the juice out. You can use cheesecloth, an old (very well-washed) stocking or anything else that works. You will use your hands to squeeze the juice out of the pulp.
- Juice the orange. Pour that and the squeeze carrot and ginger juice into a glass. Stir in the turmeric.
- Serve and enjoy.
If you have a juicer, everything’s so much easier. But we don’t, and we don’t do enough juicy smoothie things to need one. A bit of manual work from time to time is no big deal.
Source: Adapted from the Seasoned Traveler’s Orange wellness elixir,