One leftover from yesterday’s delicious orange coloured smoothie is the equally delicious carrot and ginger pulp. It wasn’t something you could just throw away. Two carrots yielded about a cup of pulp: dry and rather fluffy pulp.
Options for using leftover pulp are all over the internet: you can make soup, cake, jam, incorporate it into biscuits and breads (just google: there are too many recipes to count), make biscuits with the pulp as the main ingredient, add it with beetroot pulp to make a truly delicious-looking salad, make a vegetable spread, use it instead of coconut flour in muffins (scroll down to the comments), make vegan ‘crab’ cakes, add it to guacamole (not sure about the ginger in this).
All sneaky mums will instantly see the potential for sneaky veggie options, provided the ginger won’t raise an alert. Thankfully. we’re through that phase, but I could see myself stirring the pulp into meatballs, lasanga, bolognese sauce (again, providing the ginger doesn’t offend).
I’ve got some ideas of my own, too. So with a bit of experimenting, and a cup of pulp to play with, the next few days will be interesting for the family! At any rate, the original smoothie was so delicious, I’m sure I’ll be happy for any excuse to make some more.
We had lots of different ideas of leftovers from the latest WordPress weekly writing challenge. This week, my two favourites were photographs.
One from my favourite wordpress poet: y-ching-lin
And one from someone asking for help:
The rest of these are, mostly, just fun to read. They deserve to be in a list of favourites for the week.
- From Balderdash To Epiphany | Left Over From Leftovers
- Half and Half | Proud Member of The Clean Plate Club
- Bumblepuppies | Dead Food Insults My Intelligence
- genusrosa | No Ordinary Doll Head
- asterretha d | ace of clover
- The Happy Lifeaholic | Reminiscing
- A picture’s worth 1000 words | One Fine Day
- Master of Something I’m Yet To Discover | A Jack of All Leftovers
- Mostly True Stories of K. Renae | Questions Answered by Twitter
- My Own Champion | Stuck on Stupid
- The Writing Hut | I remember you well
- jenny’s lark | Tales of 4th grade everything.
And this is from the 50-word inspiration of the week before.
- basicallylyfe | Memories
- So Not Simple | The Less I Dream … The more I live
- The Finicky Cynic | Fifty-Word Inspiration
- theempathyqueen | The Teenage Years in Fifty Words
- An Upturned Soul | Life’s a Beach…
- The Persian Flaw | Remnants Of A Lake
- Project Momentarily | Hope in the dark
If you know any wanna-be genius mathematicians (as some of us do), you might enjoy a couple of these stories:
- tnkerr-Writing Prompts and Practice | Did I Say That Right?
- Joie De Vivre | Elliot
- Mad Meandering Me | Weekly Writing Challenge: Fifty Words Inspiration