We discovered quinoa a couple of years ago as another option for lots of things, but it was this pudding that grabbed our enthusiasm. It’s designed as a breakfast porridge, but it also makes good dessert for the über health conscious.
So what do you think Fiesta Friday friends? Dessert or breakfast? I already know Breakfast Drama Queen’s answer. But what about everyone else?
Quinoa porridge or pudding: breakfast or dessert
- 1 cup of rinsed and drained quinoa grain (we buy ours pre-rinsed)
- 3 cups of water
- 1 finely chopped green apple (or 2 small apples)
- 1 large, finely chopped red apple
- 1 chopped orange
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Put everything into a saucepan, boil like crazy for six minutes. Then turn off the heat, put the lid on, and let it sit for about 20 minutes.
- Reheat briefly to serve if you like it really hot, but it will still be nicely warm most times.
- Serve by itself, or with shredded coconut, coconut cream, yoghurt or even ice cream for a dessert.
The original recipe used apple juice instead of water, sweetened it with honey, and used orange zest instead of the orange itself.
Source: Cooking with Quinoa, the supergrain, by Rena Patten. New Holland Publishers, Australia, 2011.