My friend Lori over at Creating Beauty in the kitchen has given me for a Liebster award. What a privilege! Lori is one of those people who always has an encouraging word to go with that beautiful smile of hers—it’s worth dropping in on her just for that smile—and she would have to be one of the more experimental cooks around. She always seems to be thinking of something new to try.
The Liebster Award is a way of giving some love and encouragement to new bloggers with fewer than some number of followers (anything from 200 to 1000, depending on where google takes you). If you’ve ever heard that German expression in old movies, Ich liebe dich, then you’ll understand this award heaps love on its recipients. And it does that so well.
Here are the rules for acceptance…
LINK back to the person who nominated you
SHARE 11 facts about yourself
ANSWER 11 questions set by your nominator
NOMINATE 11 people who you think deserves the Liebster Award
ASK your nominees 11 questions to answer
AFTER YOU PUBLISH your Liebster post, go to your nominees blogs and let them know you nominated them.
Eleven new facts about me?
- I used to ski, abseil and run until forced to settle down by having kids.
- I edit for a living, but still miss my own typos.
- I love lentils, but my husband can’t eat them. It makes for some interesting times in the kitchen.
- I am not a ballet mum, even after years of my daughter doing ballet.
- I made green tomato chutney once. It took hours and everyone said the result tasted great; but that was when I discovered I don’t like green tomato chutney. I make it for gifts for other people if we have green tomatoes at the end of the season.
- I read War and peace and thoroughly enjoyed it. After the first 100 pages or so, it becomes a pretty good read.
- I learnt to cook by making cakes, and then moved on to Sunday roasts. My mum and grandmother were great teachers, and I’ve taken copies of their notebooks to start putting their recipes in here.
- I watched Downton Abbey with my daughter until they killed off Matthew. Once they start killing off main characters, it’s time to move on.
- I’m just about to toss the first cookbook I’ve gone through for this blog, having discovered that I’ve only ever cooked five or six things from it in more than twenty years. They were five or six really delicious dishes, but only five or six. Not worth the shelf space.
- The first colour television I watched was an early colour broadcast of, you guessed it, War and peace in 1974. Colour didn’t start officially in Australia until a year later in 1975. Until then, our lives were colour on the outside but black and white on tv.
- I enjoy good poetry.
And here’s Lori’s questions
1. What is your favorite part of the day and why?
It would have to be early morning. Even before I could get up before dawn, it was my favourite, albeit rarely experienced! A city at 6 or 7 am is so peaceful, with only the sounds of street sweepers, cafes putting out early morning tables and chairs, the odd office worker rushing to get a head start for a special project, and a late shift worker scurrying home. The background hum of the morning commuting traffic hasn’t started yet, there’s just the occasional chug-chug of a motor moving quietly through the streets. If there’s rain, you can hear the swish as the water’s thrown up off the road. And you can see this, if you’re on an east coast somewhere:
2. How has your blog turned out different than you expected?
This blog started out as a way of sorting through, and getting rid of, cookbooks. Then my daughter left home and needed recipes. Now it’s started to become a place to tell some of the family stories behind our favorite meals, or to make random notes. It was always going to be a kitchen notebook, but it’s getting to be a fat notebook.
3. Tell us something unique about yourself
I’m hoping to get back to cross-country skiing this season. We have snow, and with one less child at home, I have the opportunity. I just have to get the fitness level back up again. A good level of fitness can compensate for lack of skill.
4. Do you have a favorite t.v. show? What is it?
We don’t have a television. In a show of support for our lovely video store down the road, we do hire a movie on most weekends. Maybe I could cheat and say my favourite would have to be watching classic science fiction with my teenaged son.
Use three words to describe yourself.
Persistent. Creative. Quiet.
Who has influenced you the most and why?
That’s hard. There are so many great people in my life that it’s hard to choose just one. If I really had to, I could narrow it down to a very good friend, who has now moved 4000 kilometres away to the other side of the country, my husband, and the kids.
What is your favorite thing to do when you want to relax?
It used to be reading, but since I started editing for a living, I’ve found I want to give my eyes a rest. It would have to be going for a walk these days, and I’ve always loved cooking.
What is your least favorite household chore?
Cleaning. I wish I had someone who could do it all for me!
What inspires you?
My quiet times. My children and husband. My friends. And the forests.
How do you want to be remembered?
With a celebration for having run the race, not with a sad funeral. Smiles and joy for the memory of a life well lived would be great, but it’s really up to the people doing the remembering.
Do you have any pets? If so, what kind?
Sorry. No pets. Just children and a husband and ageing parents and a community. That keeps us pretty busy.
Here’s who I would like to give this award to
This is so hard—so many great bloggers and I can choose only eleven! But if I had to nominate eleven Liebsterchens (bad German for beloved Liebster award nominee), these are those who I’ve ‘liked’ lately:
- Cynthia at eatmunchlove
- Malar at Malar’s Kitchen
- Linda at La Petite Panière (I think someone else got in ahead of me, but oh well, a double nomination isn’t a bad thing)
- Ngan at ngan made it
- Yes! I’m Vegan 🙂
- Claudia at The Breakfast Drama Queen
- Maizy and Milo at Love Sorghum
- Shailja at Sweet & Savoury By Shailja
- Laurel at Laurel at eat less sugar you’re sweet enough
- Vanya at skinnychefdecuisine
- Arne and Claudia at Food with a View
And here are some questions for the lovely Liebsterchens
- What’s your favourite time of year?
- What’s your favourite food? Is it something you like cooking?
- Is there something you still haven’t done that you would like to try one day? What is it?
- When did you last see the sun rise?
- What would your ideal garden be if you could have any garden at all (and helpers if you need them)?
- What’s just one secret of those beautiful photos you keep showing us on your blogs?
- What inspires you?
- If you could keep only one cookbook, which one would it be?
- What was the first thing you learned how to cook?
- What’s the most popular entry on your blog? (Make sure you put a link in.)
- How much has your blog changed from when you posted that first entry?